24/01/2011

PATCHWORKING


Hello there! Hope you had a great start to an inspiring week! I began my week with a slight feeling of change in the air. During the weekend I visited my parents and talked to my dad about patchworking, which is an amazing new concept for people like me, who hate 9-to-6 jobs and whose creativity is slaughtered by routine. Patchworking means taking things you love to do and combining them to earn your living and enjoy doing that. Let me explain it to you with an example. Let's say, you enjoy photography and are quite skilled with your camera. You can earn money by taking photos at local events, selling your photos to stock photo sites, selling them as photo prints.. This constitutes a part of your income, you have to decide for yourself how big that part can be and how much time you should spend doing that. For example, you can earn 20% of your desired income by working as a photographer. You might also like web design. You could offer your services as a freelance web designer and earn some 30% more. Add writing for a local newspaper to that and you have 80%. Add some more until you get your 100% of desired income and working time. This way you can have a lot of diversity in your working life and enjoy what you do a lot more than if you were forced to sit in a stuffy office for most of your life. Think about it - you trade your life for your salary. Is it absolutely necessary to make such sacrifices or maybe you can enjoy what you do and earn by doing what you love? I prefer to believe that it's possible to do what you love and love what you do. For me the answer is patchworking and I hope to change my work life a lot this year by gradually setting myself free from the 9-to-6. I hope it looks like a year of change to you as well. Let's make it happen :)
post signature
{image: Allard Schager}

2 comments: